Imagine releasing an album that is eleven years in the making, with no major-label funding. The musical work is a mixture of original and cover songs, a fervent love for God, the love of family and friends, and one talented Voice. Sounds like a fictional story? Instead, it is the incredible background of independent artist, Tonya Hairston Ware.
Born in Key West, Florida, Tonya spent much of her childhood accompanying her father in his street and prison ministries as he traveled throughout the world starting and building churches. As Tonya grew older, she would sing for inmates before her dad would preach.
Tonya vividly remembers, “…just like it was yesterday, my dad would have me sing at local jails to get the inmate’s attention before he would preach to them.” The inmates soon dubbed her the “little girl with the amazing voice”. She continued into her high school and college years developing this amazing talent.
After marrying her husband, Pastor Adrian D. Ware, the couple founded Princess Productions in 1997, with Tonya as Chief Executive Officer. The company’s goal is to provide opportunities for talented individuals — particularly in music, dance, and drama —for national and international spotlights.
Her debut album, “The Voice” is the first release from Princess Productions, and the response thus far has been tremendous. Though her album falls under the “Urban Inspirational” genre, more than half of her sales have been from the secular Asian market through online distribution, while another significant portion of sales has come from the United Kingdom.
The record’s first single release, “Put My Hand In Yours,” written by Marvin Winans, has made significant strides in both the radio and music video world, illustrating that being an independent artist is only a minor factor when the Voice behind the music carries great momentum. Other news about Tonya’s debut includes:
• The single, “Put My Hand In Yours” has soared to #17 on the FMQB Adult Contemporary charts.
• The single has been added to Adult Contemporary, Gospel, and Soul radio stations around the world.
• The single is now being played on XM Satellite Radio.
• The video single for “Put My Hand In Yours” is now being featured on
The Word Network.
• Tonya Ware ~ “The Voice” is featured in the winter issue of Image Magazine along side Kirk Franklin and Canton Jones.
• The album is sweeping through Japan. CD Baby, Tonya’s online distributor, reports more than 60% of online sales are from her fans in Japan.
• Tonya is a gifted singer, songwriter, and business professional. She was presented the “Top 40 Under 40 Award” on January 16, 2008.
• Currently, on her My Space page, her music is getting over a thousand plays per day www.myspace.com/tonyaware
To purchase a copy of Tonya’s record today, visit www.TonyaWare.com. Tracks from this CD may be streamed via www.MySpace.com/TonyaWare, as well as her music video for “Put My Hand In Yours”.
Date: 29 February 2008